2017 INFINITI Q60 Red Sport: designed and engineered to perform
- Q60 Red Sport: New V6 powertrain technology, offering 298kW of peak power, delivers exhilarating drive; now on sale in Australia
- Daring exterior inspired by ‘Powerful Elegance’ design philosophy
- Empowering performance from world-first technologies
- Manufactured at newly enhanced INFINITI production facility in Tochigi, Japan
- Q60 2.0t Sport Premium with advanced technologies also now on sale in Australia; Australian Q60 model range now complete.
MELBOURNE, Australia – The INFINITI Q60 is a premium sports coupe that combines expressive design with exhilarating performance and dynamics. The taut, muscular lines of the exterior underline the Q60’s considerable performance potential – reinforced by an advanced all-new 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo engine.
Lower and wider than previous INFINITI coupes, the Q60’s bold exterior expresses ‘Powerful Elegance’ – an INFINITI design language which gives the sports coupe a sinewy athleticism, confidently projecting a sense of motion and power. Dynamic developments include the lightweight and sophisticated new V6 engine, the latest version of Direct Adaptive Steering, and a digital suspension system.
The high performance 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo engine from the new and exclusive 'VR' powertrain family is born out of the brand's extensive in-house experience in six-cylinder powertrain development. The new engine, which produces a maximum power output of 298kW, has been designed to offer increased power and torque while maintaining high levels of efficiency. A four-cylinder 2.0-litre petrol engine, turbocharged to produce 155kW, is also available (released in Australia in November 2016).
The Q60 Red Sport’s impressive power output is channeled through the rear wheels for immediate dynamic responses, delivering a truly dynamic drive.
The Q60 delivers an engaging sports coupe experience, with a balance of compliant ride and agile handling. Playing a key role in achieving this balance is INFINITI's new Dynamic Digital Suspension (DDS), engineered to offer direct handling responses and high agility, and enhanced ride comfort – aided by new electronic and adaptive dampers.
INFINITI's second-generation Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS) offers high levels of feedback and more direct steering responses in the Q60. The 'steer-by-wire' system does away with mechanically linked parts, instead employing digital components to improve steering feel and feedback. The connection between the driver and DAS is instantaneous, thanks to the electronic connection between components.
A newly-enhanced Drive Mode Selector gives drivers the option to personalise and tailor the Dynamic Digital suspension (DDS) and Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS) performance according to their needs and preferred driving style.
“INFINITI has always been at the forefront of daring design and pioneering technology – and the Q60 again offers both. We believe the Q60‘s qualities and core strengths – the way it looks and drives – will appeal to buyers in the premium sports coupe segment.” Roland Krueger, President of INFINITI.
INFINITI Q60: reigniting INFINITI’s presence in the sports coupe segment
- Record INFINITI global sales in 2016; Q60 to help maintain momentum
- Q60 part of intense period of model renewal by INFINITI
The 2016 world premiere of the new Q60 premium sports coupe came at a time of rapid growth for INFINITI, released in the midst of an intense global launch period. INFINITI sold more than 230,000 new vehicles during 2016, a year-on-year rise of seven percent and a new record. The Q60 will play an important role in the brand’s global development and re-ignite its presence in the premium sports coupe segment. INFINITI is undergoing a period of model diversification, entering new segments and, in the case of Q60, introducing new technologies and powertrains.
INFINITI has a proven track record in the sports coupe class with the G35 and G37, launched in 2002 and 2008, respectively. The first-generation G35 presented a blend of engaging dynamics and eye-catching looks, and INFINITI development teams have designed and engineered the third-generation Q60 sports coupe according to the same principles. In Australia, the G37 was officially released in December 2012 and was later renamed Q60. It was replaced by this new-generation Q60 sports coupe (initially with the turbocharged 2.0-litre engine) in November 2016. The arrival of the 298kW Q60 Red Sport now completes the Australian Q60 model range.
“The new Q60, our third-generation sports coupe, will reinforce INFINITI’s position in the segment. Premium customers around the globe love a sports coupe that offers power, performance and prestige – and the Q60 delivers on all three fronts.” - Francois Bancon, INFINITI Vice President Product Strategy.
Summary of Australian INFINITI Q60 model grades
- Performance: Q60 Red Sport (298kW 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6)
- Top: Q60 Sport Premium (155kW 2.0-litre turbo I4)
- Entry: Q60 GT (155kW 2.0-litre turbo I4)
Summary of product news at this INFINITI media event
Australian-market release of the all-new INFINITI Q60 Red Sport (range-leading variant in the Q60 sports coupe model range); this is the car being presented.
- Styling: ‘Powerful Elegance’.
- Engine: 298kW V6 twin-turbo (engine code: VR30 DDTT).
- Transmission: Seven-speed automatic with paddle shifters; torque convertor coupling, rear-wheel drive.
- Suspension: Digital Dynamic Suspension (DDS): Monitors the vehicle's body-roll, pitch and bounce rate to deliver a secure ride via electronically controlled dampers.
- Steering: Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS): Advanced 'steer-by-wire' system that has undergone significant re-tuning to enhance steering feel and feedback.
- Advanced technologies: Various, including Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW), Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) with pedestrian braking system and Around View Monitor (AVM) with Moving Object Detection (MOD).
- Australian price (MSRP**): $88,900 (excludes on-road charges)
Australian-market release of the INFINITI Q60 2.0-litre Sports Premium model grade (highest model grade for the 2.0-litre turbocharged variant); now in Australian INFINITI showrooms.
- Please consult the Specifications & Equipment section of the Press Kit for full details.
- Australian price (MSRP**): $70,900 (excludes on-road charges).
Powerful, elegant, and daring new design
- The Q60 gives expression to INFINITI’s ‘Powerful Elegance’ design philosophy
- Flowing sculptural lines and strong, muscular proportions communicate the Q60’s performance
- Signature design cues make the Q60 unmistakably INFINITI
- Aerodynamically-efficient design results in 0.29 drag coefficient
“Our ‘Powerful Elegance’ form language makes INFINITI vehicles instantly recognisable, but rather than applying constraints and limitations upon the artistry and creativity of design, it is constantly evolving to retain its fresh and contemporary edge – above all, Q60 brings this philosophy to life.” Alfonso Albaisa, INFINITI Executive Design Director.
A tailored approach for a driver-centric interior
- Driver-centric, passenger-minded’ ethos for advanced cabin architecture
- All-new interior trims feature high-end accents and bold choice of materials
“Cabin artistry for INFINITI is about a fitted, personal approach. We modeled the Q60’s interior around the concept of a ‘driver’s glove’ – the driver is always comfortable and the cabin is tailored for them.” Alfonso Albaisa, INFINITI Executive Design Director.
Two engine choices
- Four-cylinder turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine (on sale in Australia since November 2016)
- New VR30 DDTT twin-turbo V6 engine (now on sale in Australia)
- V6 twin-turbo petrol engine (NEW)
The all-new 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo engine, from the new 'VR' powertrain family, is the most advanced V6 engine that INFINITI has ever offered, striking an ideal balance between drivability, efficiency, and performance.
The new engine, code VR30 DDTT, was created through extensive in-house experience of six-cylinder powertrain development. The 'VQ' V6 powertrain family, predecessor to 'VR', has been a long-established and multi-award winning series of engines that has appeared in INFINITI models since 1994.
The compact and lightweight engine has been developed to deliver optimal power and torque for an engine of its size, as well as high levels of fuel efficiency. The engine delivers up to 298kW of power (a 224kW – 300 horsepower - version is offered in Q60 models overseas, not in Australia), with power and torque accessible across a broad spread of mid-range engine speeds in which drivers typically spend most of their time.
Peak power from the 298 kW engine (400 horsepower) arrives at 6,400 rpm, producing 475 Nm of torque at 1,600-5,200 rpm. With the highest power-to-efficiency ratio of any car in the premium sports coupe class, the Q60 is capable of 8.9-litres# per 100km travelled (combined cycle fuel consumption).
This balance of power to efficiency was made possible thanks to a set of newly developed INFINITI powertrain features.
Chief among these is a new direct-injection gasoline (DIG) fueling system. The high- pressure DIG system allows for precise control over injection timings and the amount of petrol injected into the combustion chamber, delivering the exact amount required for smooth engine acceleration, depending on throttle position and engine speed. This system makes the new V6 one of the cleanest, most fuel efficient and powerful engines of its type that the sports coupe class has ever seen.
Fuel tank capacity in the 298kW Q60 Red Sport is 80 litres and the recommended fuel type is 95RON petrol.
Further in-depth information on the 3.0-litre V6 twin-turbo engine is available via the INFINITI Q60 Microsite www.INFINITIq60news.com.
- 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine (Australian release: November 2016)
The Q60’s Australian start of sales commenced in late 2016 with the new four-cylinder turbocharged 2.0-litre DIG (direct-injection gasoline) engine, which features enhanced direct fuel injection for efficiency in all conditions. This engine delivers 155 kW at 5,500 rpm and a maximum torque of 350 Nm from 1,250 to 3,500 rpm.
A high-pressure direct fuel injection system with piezoelectric injectors delivers fuel to the engine in precise amounts for greater fuel efficiency, helping achieve a combined-cycle fuel consumption rate of 7.7-litres# per 100 kilometres.
This all-aluminum 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine uses a hydraulic variable valve timing control system and direct fuel injection to maximise its mechanical efficiency, with resin- coated pistons minimising friction. INFINITI’s Idle Stop-Start system, fitted as standard to 2.0-litre DIG engines, provides further improvements to fuel economy.
The engine’s wide-range single-scroll turbocharger provides peak torque at those engine speeds most commonly used by drivers, though the free-revving nature of the engine allows drivers to reach a red line of 6,300 rpm.
|Engine||Power||Torque||Fuel Cons.#||CO2 Output#|
|2.0l turbo-petrol I4||155kW||350Nm||7.7l/100km||175g/km|
|3.0l twin-turbo petrol V6||298kW||475Nm||8.9l/100km||207g/km|
Steering, ride and handling: empowering drive from adaptable chassis technology
- Second-generation Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS) enhances steering feel and feedback; DAS is fitted to the Q60 Red Sport and Q60 2.0t Sport Premium
- All-new Dynamic Digital Suspension (DDS) monitors the vehicle's body roll, pitch and bounce rate to deliver a secure ride
Wheels, tyres and brakes
The 298kW Q60 Red Sport comes fitted with Akebono performance brakes. Their impressive stopping power is achieved by 355mm diameter ventilated front brake discs clamped by four-piston calipers. At the rear are 350mm diameter discs with two-piston opposed brakes. All four brake calipers are painted red with INFINITI lettering.
The Q60 Red Sport is also fitted with 19 x 9.0-inch dark chrome alloy wheels with 245/40 R19 94W run-flat tyres.
Drive Mode Selector (DMS): Multiple Customisation Options
- Steering, Chassis, Powertrain and other features can be customised
- Ease of use with Drive Mode Selector
Additional drivetrain technology connects car to road
- Seven-speed automatic transmission enables responsive, direct acceleration
- Adaptive Shift Control (ASC) enhances gear selection according to road conditions
High-tech features offer maximum comfort and convenience
- NVH improved with upgrades to suspension, wheels, and cabin
- New 13-speaker Bose® audio system fitted to production vehicle for the first time
- Newly-designed high-back, high-bolster seats provide unrivalled spinal support
- 'InTouch' connectivity features enable remote control of some Q60 functions with a smartphone
Technological innovation facilitates comfort and convenience in the cabin of the Q60 premium sports coupe, providing a refined and contemporary space for driver and passengers alike.
Comprehensive safety features for ultimate peace-of-mind
- The Q60 includes safety technologies that actively protect people in and around the car
- Hazard monitoring and avoidance systems significantly reduce risk of incidents
INFINITI’s comprehensive approach to active safety is evident throughout the Q60 premium sports coupe. The Q60’s suite of driver assistive safety technologies allows the car to monitor for and identify potential hazards, actively assisting the driver to avoid those hazards, and, if a collision is unavoidable, mitigate the effects.
The range of active, and passive, safety technologies include:
- Avoiding and mitigating the effects of a collision: Forward Emergency Braking with pedestrian braking system
- Appearance of a hazard: Predictive Forward Collision Warning
- Monitoring for hazards: Around View Monitor with Moving Object Detection
In addition to these safety technologies, the Q60 includes other driver-assistive features such as the Adaptive Front Lighting System and Active Lane Control.
The Q60 is equipped with six airbags as standard in all markets – driver and passenger front and side impact airbags, and roof-mounted curtain airbags with a rollover sensor. A pop-up engine hood, engineered to meet new global safety standards for pedestrian safety (designed to limit potential injury to pedestrians) is also fitted.
Consult the Specifications and Equipment sheets for the complete list of safety features fitted to the new INFINITI Q60 Red Sport.
Unique new production methods
- Q60 built at the INFINITI facility in Tochigi, Japan
- Significant investment in Tochigi specifically for new Q60 production
- INFINITI creates new production processes to meet unique design needs of Q60
- Highly-skilled ‘Takumi’ employed on production line ensure premium quality
Scheduled servicing costs
The INFINITI Service Assure program is available at any authorised INFINITI workshop and offers Australian Q60 customers a transparent and convenient scheduled servicing program.
The program is available for all models in the Australian INFINITI vehicle range. For the 3.0- litre V6 twin-turbo model variants, scheduled servicing intervals are every 12 months or 15,000km, whichever occurs first.
The approximate prices (including GST) for each of the first three scheduled services at an authorised INFINITI Service Centre are listed below:
- Scheduled service 1: $331.00
- Scheduled service 2: $570.00
- Scheduled service 3: $331.00
A comprehensive four-year / 100,000 kilometre new-vehicle warranty is applied to all models sold in the Australian INFINITI new-vehicle range. Premium roadside assistance support package is also provided for this period, a service which provides roadside assistance coverage for the INFINITI owner’s non-INFINITI cars in their household.
Australian Prices: The New INFINITI Q60 Range
|Model and Grade||MSRP*||Est. Driveaway**|
|Q60 2.0-litre Turbo-Petrol I4|
|Q60 2.0t GT (released Nov. 2016)||$62,900||$69,935|
|Q60 2.0t GT with Enhancement Pack (released Nov. 2016)||$65,900||$73,085|
|Q60 Sport Premium (Now on Sale)||$70,900||$78,335|
|Q60 3.0-litre Twin-Turbo Petrol V6|
|Q60 3.0t Red Sport (Now on Sale)||$88,900||$97,235|
* Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail prices (MSRP) are provided for media purposes only do not include statutory charges or other on-road costs.
** Maximum recommended drive-away price for vehicle in Victoria including 12 months’ registration, 12 months’ CTP and applicable statutory charges, dealer delivery and administration charges. Price is based on a private owner aged 40 with a good driving record and the vehicle being garaged in Victoria. Prices may differ depending on State purchased, individual’s personal circumstances and will vary from dealer to dealer. Premium paint is available at additional cost.
# Figures tested in accordance with ADR81/02 (combined test). Figures stated for the purposes of comparison amongst vehicles only. Actual fuel consumption depends on factors such as traffic conditions, vehicle condition, how you drive and any accessories fitted.